How to fix issue if all files and shortcuts got changed to .lnk extension-Windows7 ?
Do you have issue like all the file extension and shortcuts have been changed to .lnk file extension? If yes, no need to be panic you can fix this issue by yourself once you will follow the steps given below.
Sometimes its really annoying and feels like virus attack in the system and all files and shortcuts get changed to .lnk or any other format. So if you double click on the icon or try to open, it opens only in the extension added (.lnk) and does not open in appropriate files. Looks like all the files got encrypted.
The reason why it happens, sometimes if you try to open any file like .lnk file by choosing the program that you want to open it and suppose you have chosen the program WordPad and if the check box on the window opened “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” is selected, that creates problem.
Recently I faced this issue and resolved it by following few settings steps. If you are facing same kind of issue please follow the steps to fix it:
Follow the steps to fix file extension issue:
1) Click on Start and then click on Run option.
2) In the text box opened after clicking on Run option type the text regedit and click on OK
3) Now search for HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder by navigating or you can search it by pressing Ctrl+F button.
4) Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER navigate following :
HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion->Explorer -> FileExts -> .lnk
5) Under .lnk folder there will be one folder called UserChoice.
6) Please go ahead and delete UserChoice folder.
7) Restart you system will fix the issue.
Hope this will help you to fix the problem.